Maybe you remember this great ice cream sandwich from the 80’s and 90’s — The Snack & Half. An ice cream sandwich with two oatmeal cookies and vanilla ice cream, coated in chocolate.
I haven’t seen them in years. We used to get them from our local gas station as a treat on Friday nights, on our way up to the cabin for the weekend. I decided to make my own…
How to make your own Snack & a Half…
- Bake oatmeal cookies (great recipe from Quaker Oats). Let them cool.
- Buy vanilla ice cream
- Put about 2 inches of ice cream between the cookies. Try to fill out to the edges of cookie. Use a butter knife to smooth around the outside (like you would icing a cake).
- Set cookie on a plate with piece of parchment paper. Put in the freezer (until your chocolate is ready).
- Melt a bag of milk chocolate chips on your stove top. Stir continuously on low / medium heat.
- When chocolate has cooled a bit (but is still smooth), spoon melted chocolate on top of sandwich and smooth with a spoon. Let the chocolate drizzle over the sides.
- Put your ice cream sandwich (Snack & Half!) in the freezer for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Eat it!