I love the concept behind monthly book subscriptions for kids. My boys love getting mail and would be excited to have new books sent to them each month. I just didn’t want to pay hundreds of dollars for it. There had to be another option besides the pricey subscription services I found online. I decided to start my own.
I sent out a message to a group of moms I know…
Would anyone be interested in a Toddler Book Club? It could be a fun and affordable way for our little ones to have great new board books delivered to their door!
- each interested parent would buy three new board books (to create a group book collection that would rotate to different homes)
- we could add the titles we buy/plan to buy to a Google doc (so we don’t end up buying the same books)
- sometime during the first week of each month, we would drop off the three books to the next family’s mailbox (we live quite close to each other and we can do a mailbox drop off at any hour that’s convenient for us)
- we’d always drop off to the same family (I could set up a little rotation)
- if any books are damaged / lost, we would be responsible for replacing it (if our kid was the one who did a number to it)
If you’re interested, let me know! We’d likely want / need at least five people to make it work.
Within a few hours, I heard back from six women who loved the idea and were interested. We’ve decided to start in April, and our kids will now have new books delivered to them for the next six months (for around $25).
I set up a Google doc to help us get organized. Along with sharing the book titles we’ve bought, it’s been a way to share our addresses to figure out who is dropping off books to who. I also posted a few links to blogs and sites with recommended titles for toddlers. I thought it might help us find some great new books.
I’ve never done this before so I’m not sure how it will go. There might be some bumps along the way, but we’ll figure it out. I’ll give an update with a blog post in May!
If you’re interested in starting something similar, here’s a copy of our Google doc in case it’s helpful. Whether you have a toddler, a tween, or a teen, it would be neat to start a book club with a group of friends or within a neighbourhood.
If you decide to give it a go or already do something similar, please share!